Tuesday, May 25, 2010

New York trip was fun. This wasn't my first time in NY but it seemed like I enjoyed it the most. Instead of going to Time Square and places like that we spent time in Greenwich Village, Brooklyn. At the end we went to time square and got the tickets for the South Pacific musical. Good show by the way.
Checked out couple museums. Cooper-Hewitt design museum - was interesting and reminded me student show at school. Also went to Guggenheim. I liked it a lot. Not too big interesting architecture and good mix of modern and classic art. Really liked crazy architectural paintings by Julie Mehretu: Grey Area. And finally learned the story behind Malevich Black Square. That was his interpretation of Existential being like God. On his show where he presented Black Square for the first time he put it in the left corner where Russian orthodox Christians placed icons.
Took a sketchbook with me and sketched whenever had an opportunity. Enjoyed randomness of the pages as I never new what I was going to sketch next. Mostly people on the subway and some of them slippy. I wonder how many of the new I was sketching them...







No comments: